Saturday, October 15, 2011

Moving email from GMail to Google Apps

After a couple of years of using emails for my personal domain I finally decided to sign up for Google Apps. Using GMail to send email from multiple email addresses is convenient but it starts getting in the way when it comes to document sharing, calendars and such.

The only issue is that I have about two years worth of history in my GMail account - Google Docs, about 20k emails, Calendars, etc. After browsing the web for advice on how to transfer my data I found out that:
  • you can export (as ZIP) and then import your Google Docs - not too difficult or time-consuming, just resets collection membership and create date.
  • you can export your Calendar and import it. Did not work for me but I had very few appointments, so I ended up sharing the calendar from my GMail account to my Google Apps account, then manually moved them to my Google Apps calendar using "Copy to this calendar" option.
The only reasonable way to move the 20k emails was using offlineimap tool (http://offlineimap.org/). Another blog post recommended using a tool called imapsync (http://ks.lamiral.info/imapsync/) but it costs EUR 30 - way more than I was willing to spend at this point. offlineimap requires a simple configuration file: ~/.offlineimaprc:

[general]
accounts = gmail

[Account gmail]
remoterepository = Gmail
localrepository = GoogleApps

[Repository Gmail]
type = Gmail
remoteuser = <username>@gmail.com
remotepass = ***

[Repository GoogleApps]
type = IMAP
remotehost = imap.gmail.com
ssl = yes
remoteuser = <username>@<your-googleapps-domain>
remotepass = ***

then just run offlineimap. After about 20 hours it was all done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home